Neustein Urban - Planning design architecture

Does my development need council approval

Most building or land use activities in NSW require some form of council approval. Neustein Urban advises on permissible land uses, zoning and rezoning, and, where applicable, existing use rights. The approval process is heavily regulated by the Environmental Planning and Assessment Act and therefore, by councils. We explain permissible purposes for land and buildings and the rules which apply. We help prepare Development Applications and zoning reports.

During the past few years, the state government has made changes to planning laws to allow some uses to occupy new premises without requiring council approval. Similarly, some housing can be approved by public or private sector certifiers.

We can advise you whether your use fits the new laws or if a formal Development Application is required.

Neustein Urban can advise which planning controls allow residential alterations and additions to be certified rather than requiring a DA.